Sunday, February 27, 2011

Baaaaacon

After extensive experimentation (involving eating a lot of bacon), I think I've hit a local maximum on bacon preparation (maybe even a global maximum, but who knows if you could do better by searing it in the breath of a dragon or something). I had stumbled across the idea of oven bacon in some food article a while back, and it's definitely an improvement over pan cooking. Since we have a convection oven, we use that, but I suspect this would work fine in a regular oven.
20 min
350F
Cook on a rack
Those are the main elements - not too hot, and the bacon should be on a rack/griddle - something where it's not sitting in the grease (have a pan underneath to catch the grease, of course). The best brand I've found is Applegate Farms Sunday Bacon (no nitr[a,i]tes, has an organic option). All this together produces an amazing fluffy-crispy texture without any burnt or gooey spots.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm. Baaaacon.

    Bacon takes all things to a higher plane. I bet there's bacon ice cream. I bet it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete